Electrola is the german subdivision of EMI Records from 1972 to 2002, responsible holding company of the EMI Electrola trademark/label. The EMI Electrola GmbH was founded 1972, but the history of name started 47 years before.
The Electrola brand was established as a counterpart of the british "His Master's Voice" label by the Gramophone Co. Ltd. Therefore the subsidiary Electrola Gesellschaft m.b.H. was founded on May 8th, 1925 (the german HMV slogan "Die Stimme des Herrn" and the Nipper logo was owned in Germany until the end of WWII by the former Gramophone Co. Ltd. subsidiary "Deutsche Grammophon AG", which was confiscated during WW II and sold to "Polyphon Musikwerke AG").
The company moved from Berlin to Cologne in 1953 and merged with the second german EMI subsidiary "Carl Lindström GmbH" in 1972. For the next 30 years the new formed "EMI Electrola GmbH" was the home of the ELECTROLA brand. With the merger of "EMI Electrola GmbH" and "Virgin Schallplatten GmbH" in 2002 the label was moved to the "Capitol Music" division of "EMI Music Germany GmbH & CoKG".
Sublabels : 4P Nicolaus GMBH, Advertising Dep. EMI Electrola, Beka, CDL - Cologne Dance Label, Cool Groove, Creative Services EMI Electrola, Dacapo (2), Die Stimme Seines Herrn, Electronic, EMI Electrola, EMI Scala, Imperial Express, Love, Musikant, Oldies Revival, Papagayo, Spin Records, Strictly Dance, Synergy Records (5), Welt-Rekord.